The McMaster University Department of Philosophy invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin July 1, 2020.
Applicants must have an area of specialization in feminist philosophy, broadly construed to encompass feminist approaches to any area within philosophy, such as history, metaphysics, epistemology, political philosophy and/or ethics, to name just a few possibilities. The areas of competence and all other areas of specialization are open.
The successful applicant must have or be very near completion of a PhD in philosophy by the time of the appointment. The applicant must also demonstrate a record of excellence in teaching and research and a willingness and ability to support the collegiality of our intellectual community as well as the university-wide and departmental goals of equity, diversity and inclusivity.
The typical teaching load in the Philosophy Department is 2 courses per term (4 per academic year), plus graduate supervision. The department hosts an M.A. and a PhD Program in Philosophy. Departmental teaching also supports the MA and Diploma (PhD) Programs in Gender Studies and Feminist Research.
The department’s two main undergraduate programs are the BA Honours in Philosophy and the BA Honours in Justice, Political Philosophy and Law. Philosophy department faculty also provide undergraduate teaching for the BA Honours Program in Peace Studies, the Integrated Business and Humanities Program, and the Arts and Science Program.
How to Apply:
- Submit a letter of application together with a curriculum vitae, writing sample, research statement, statement of teaching interests and philosophy (including evidence of teaching effectiveness), and statement on the goal of building an equitable, diverse and inclusive community.
- Arrange for at least three letters of reference to be sent to the department at the following address: email@example.com.
- Application materials must be submitted through the University’s electronic portal: workingatmcmaster.ca/careers/ (Job Opening # 28909).
- All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. However, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority for the position.
- Complete applications received by November 18th, 2019 are assured of full consideration. However, the position will remain open until it is filled.
- Direct queries about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about the Department of Philosophy, see https://philos.humanities.mcmaster.ca.
To comply with the Government of Canada’s reporting requirements, the University gathers information about applicants’ status as either a permanent resident of Canada or Canadian citizen. Applicants need not identify country of origin or current citizenship; however, all applications must include one of the following statements:
Yes, I am a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
No, I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and, within the lands protected by the “Dish with One Spoon” wampum agreement.
In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. All qualified candidates are invited to apply, and we welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ+ persons. Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247) or the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources office at ext. 22207 to communicate accommodation needs.
We invite all applicants to complete a brief Diversity Survey. This survey can be found at https://surveys.mcmaster.ca/limesurvey/index.php/572637?lang=en
The survey takes approximately two minutes to complete. All information collected is confidential and will be used to support efforts to broaden the diversity of the applicant pool and to promote a fair, equitable and inclusive talent acquisition process.