Graduate Application Process
Graduate Application Window is NOW Open. If you encounter any difficulties with your application, please contact us directly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline: To receive full consideration for all scholarship funding opportunities, you are advised to apply by February 15th, 2018.
All the information and forms a prospective student needs to complete an application to our graduate programs can be found here. If you have questions regarding our program, please feel free to email our MA Advisor or PhD Advisor.
A complete application consists of the following documents. Please ensure that you have uploaded all of your documents before you submit your online application.
1. Your McMaster University Application.
2. Two Letters of Reference from instructors most familiar with your academic work. Your referees will automatically be sent an e-Reference request on your behalf, once you submit your application online.
3. Statement of Interest: A brief statement (1-2 pages) explaining your research interests, how your background prepares you for the program, and your reasons for seeking to pursue your research interests as a graduate student with the McMaster University Philosophy Program.
4. Sample of Work: Please submit a sample of your philosophical writing in English to the online application system. Your writing sample should be indicative of your ability to engage in advanced philosophical research. It need not fall within the area of your proposed research. To ensure full consideration, your writing sample should not exceed 7000 words.
5. Transcripts: Please upload your transcripts for all post-secondary academic work completed to date as part of your online application.
- If the final transcript does not show that all degree requirements have been met or the degree is conferred, an official copy of your diploma is also required.
- Transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified literal translation.
- If your application is accepted for admission to the program, you will be required to submit originals transcripts in order to remain enrolled in the program.
6. C.V.: Please submit a list of any research, publications, academic awards, teaching, or work experience relevant to philosophy.
7 . Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is English need not submit evidence of proficiency in English. All other applicants must submit such evidence as part of their online application. Please see https://gs.mcmaster.ca/academic-services/how-apply under the Language Requirements tab for an enumeration of the exams and minimum scores that constitute sufficient evidence. Applicants who have completed a university degree where the primary language of instruction is English may request that the MA Advisor or PhD Advisor waive the requirement to submit evidence of English proficiency.
You will require a valid credit card or Interac card (domestic applicants) for the application fee ($110 CAD) and a valid email address. Your application will not be considered for admission until your application fee has been received and you submit your application.